Michelle and Cello

Music art and Cello

Friday, October 30, 2009

Merry-go-Round: Failure sucks: but Instructs.

It's time for another ride on the merry-go-round! Jump on and join a group of 9 artists/crafts-women as they link around the world and tell you a little about their lives in art and craft.

This month topic is: "Failure sucks, but instructs".

Recently I received a message from a fellow seller  in Dawanda, she asked me how to know what customers want and how to make sales.

I think the major failure to all of the sellers is that we cannot make sales. This especially sucks when you just start your business.

I haven't answer the question to the fellow seller yet. The main reason is that I really don't know how to answer it. I think it over and over in my mind and try to make a good answer when I drive or do some other things.

But all I can say is that you try to perfect what you are doing, don't worry too much on sales and customer likes. If you really have wonderful products, people will come to buy from you.

If you enjoy what you are doing and you don't need to worry about money, you can try to put all your effort to make beautiful and unique products. Something that people will say "wow" when they see it.

One thing I believe that in the Internet world, if you work hard, your products are unique and excellent, there are plenty of lovely people somewhere out there will notice them and buy from you.

One excellent example is one of the friends that I get to know from Dawanda. She closed her shop a year ago and recently she just opened her shop in Dawanda again. She sells mainly watercolor paintings and prints. In about only a few weeks, she already sold many items. She has improved her products so much during the time she closed her shop and every item makes me feel so excited. You can visit her shop at:
http://en.dawanda.com/shop/Morgenlicht-Kunst

I want to learn from her as well.
That's all from me. There are many other lessons to learn as small business owners. It would be very valuable for you to visit others to find out more about it:

Jenny at Jenny Karlsson design
Wendren at Wren
Sara at Sara's Texture Crafts
Charlotte at Fancy Picnic
Marian, Florcita's Art
Agathe at Le Bar du Vent
Fabienne at Easterya
Ruth at Birdland Creation 

10 comments:

florcita said...

I think what you said was key: dont pay attentions to trends or what people want... be you. Naturally keeping an eye on what happens around is vital from a biz point of view, but you have to do what comes out of you. If you fake it, it won't work.

Kathleen Dalseno said...

Dear Lily,
thanks for thinking about it and writing it.

You're right in saying that when we are true to our artistic vision and keep producing good work, we will be rewarded by the attention it deserves.

Thanks for encouraging me.

Ruth said...

Great example Lily of someone having the courage to shut up shop and learn for a while and experiment.

Karen Faulkner said...

I love the theme! As much as we don't like it, we do probably learn more from our failures.

Easterya said...

This is what I will remember from you: True art comes from the heart and people will always recognize it. Really interesting post, thanks Lily!

meherio68 said...

I can understand that someone would ask you for advice— but your art looks so unique and organic, I'm not surprised you find it hard to 'explain' how one should "market" oneself. You seem to do it all so naturally. A true role-model!

'fancypicnic' said...

Lily, you are right...there is no enjoyment in our work if we simply try to second guess and make products that aren't really 'us'. We need to put ourselves into our work, and in doing so we learn so much from it!

Sara's Texture Crafts said...

Yes, I think you are right... we should believe in ourselves and our products and have confidence. This was a great post... Thank you!
Sara xx

Jenny said...

This was very inspiring and uplifting! I don't know the secret to selling things.. Like the others already have said, you need to be you and do what feels right. There is only one of me, so how can anyone else know what will work? :)
Thanks also for the link to your friend's dawanda. Consider it 'added to favorite shops'! :D

Wendren said...

It is so important to learn from one another. That is why I love the Merry-go-round so much.

I find it interesting how we each deal with starting up a new business and working through the problems and discovering our 'niches'. I have also come to learn to not take a lack of sales personally - it just means that it is not the right bag for the right person. Somehow, every bag always sells. It just needs the right person to love it.